The problems of this exercise weren’t immediately obvious to me, despite the instructions. I started by producing an image on a linen napkin using felt tip, wax and stains. The first image I used was that of a puffer fish. I really liked it, it was quite comical. However, when I produced it on a small scale it didn’t work at all, it looked like a bear face.
I redrew the fish, using the same method, but again found the small version unsatisfactory, it still didn’t seem clear enough. In the end I kept the staining as background and drew the fish separately on the computer in order to get the image dark and clear enough.