The title of the brief was 7 days, so I thought about some sort of event which took place over a week. I had recently experimented with making fermented vegetables. The essence of this process is leaving vegetables in a brine solution and waiting for them to ferment over roughly a week.
I looked through my personal sketchbooks to find some inspiration. I like exploring images and themes which recur on successive pages, often cutting through the page to make the connection. This was my original idea for the seven days, to use a recurring motif and use cutting through. I thought I would use the shape of the jar and the pickled vegetables in this way. I made 3 lino blocks of the jar and the bowl and experimented with painted backgrounds and printing shapes.
When I came to pull the piece together however, it just didn’t seem to work as I had anticipated, the linoprint didn’t work as a physical piece, not printing well onto the acrylic painted background. The first page required images of the vegetables and ingredients and I felt the images I created using stencilled shapes were too crude. I ended up creating images with marker pens. I liked these images but they then dictated the direction the whole piece went in, I no longer felt able to use the cutting through idea.
The final piece was created using a mixture of drawn images, the linoprints and a bit of digital work to pull it together.