I used the same fonts as in the previous exercise. My starting point was the layout of the fonts on “dafont”. I printed off each of the fonts and marked the key characters. I scribbled out the other characters and then experimented with cutting holes in the paper and trying to line them up.
I realised that I would need to rejig the characters a bit to get a better fit.
I made a versions on InDesign.
Issue 1) fonts are different heights and widths, even at the same point size.
I used the Mary Jane font as the baseline as it is the biggest.
Issue 2) with making holes in the paper, the characters need to have a certain amount of separation.
I made some prototypes and printed them off. In order to line them up properly I had used columns and guide rulers. I added boxes for the windows to cut through.
I then realised the boxes and lines of type had to be lined up very accurately. I redid the versions using a grid instead.
[working with a grid: click on InDesign -> Preferences ->Grids. I altered the gridlines to be 35mm]
I had to do lots of printing off versions and trying them out.
Once I had worked out the exact placement of the key letters on the Mary Jane sheet I was able to decide exactly where the windows had to be. Then I created a master copy of the windows as they needed to be identically placed on each sheet.The other characters were not as important so I then just fitted them around the key characters and boxes.
For the final version I added colour and then lined the name of the font down the right handed so it could be read on each sheet.