I had a few ideas of hand made type, I made some out of plasticine, but then I went with making cut outs. I am trying to explore fusing my sketchbook work and OCA work and I have been using cutting through a lot in my sketchbooks so I followed a process that I have used many times, although this time was less random and more planned.
I drew up a grid of uppercase letters, numbers and an ampersand. I prepared similar sized sheets of paper.
I drew shapes in thick black lines, quickly without making them perfect.
I cut out the shapes quickly.
I laid another sheet of paper behind and drew through with thick oil pastel. This made “Cutout Regular”
I took another sheet and attached them together. Using the thick oil pastel leaves a residue around the stencil so I used this to smear the residue onto the sheet below. The two attached sheets made “Cutout Smear”.
I took the two sheets apart. The bottom sheet makes “Cutout Ghost”
The top sheet makes “Cutout Empty”.
I then went back to the cut out shapes. I laid them on a fresh sheet and used oil pastels to draw round the shapes to make “Cutout Outlines”.
I then stuck the cut out shapes onto a fresh sheet of paper to give “Cutout Inlines”
Making up a Type Sample:
The problem with using cut out shapes is that they have to be simple. It is for use for Heading text rather than body text so I will have to set any text in a different font.
I used Bradley Handwritten for the body text.
“Cutout, designed by Spillustrate in 2018 is a banner font for projects requiring that handcrafted look, the variations working well against a coloured background.”